Drop-downMenu

Sunday 3 May 2015

The Stolen Bouquet

It was last day of college being celebrated as ‘college fest’.   Unlike the last 3 years, this time I chose not to participate in any of the contests. Because that moment needed to be lived not used!


I looked around to see my friends enjoying and dancing. Either they had forgotten that it was the end of college life or they wanted to live ‘The End’ to the fullest. But still, to make a mark, I participated in one contest on stage which was the most awaited one - 'Mr. and Ms Talented'. Only one girl and one boy had to be the winner. It included an introduction round, followed by the talent hunt round and the question-answer round. After every round, 3 or 4 people would get eliminated. At last, out of 15, we three girls were left as the semi-finalists.  The jury would need some time to take the decision and so the dance session continued with the heavy crescendo of music.


After a while, the music stopped, the results were announced, and I got thrilled to hear my name as the winner. I was crowned, handed over a certificate and a bouquet.


But lost in the roar of the music, my friends had forgotten to congratulate me or prod me for a treat. I felt like a winner and a loser at the same time. I felt elated and as well as disheartened. My happiness could soar high with their wishes, but they were stark oblivious.


Just after the results, the music started buzzing again, and people got back to dancing. I too stepped on the dance floor, but my hands were occupied now. So I placed my bag and the bouquet on the stage platform and joined the crowd.


At 7 in the evening, it all ended up, alas! Time to pack up and go home with both happiness and despair. I came back to collect my stuff.
Much to my surprise, I found a small bouquet lying next to mine. I looked here and there wondering where it came from, but got no hint. Ignoring it, as I turned around, a voice came, “this is for you”. I looked around and saw an old and forgotten friend of mine holding the bouquet in his hands. I was so touched.
“You bought it for me?”
“No, I stole it from the table of the chief guest”. He giggled and so did I while he handed it over to me.


More than the bigger bouquet which I was rewarded with on the stage, that small bouquet (which my dear friend stole for me) was my biggest achievement for the day.

More than those people who I thought do care for me and who were at that moment still dancing unaware that I was leaving, this only person who I always found irritating and used to fight with, and finally stopped talking for over 2 years, appeared to be my true friend indeed




'Friends slip away from our hands with the sands of time and disappear. 
But sometimes, just to know something and feel thankful for it is all what matters'










1 comment:

  1. Very touching...

    Although I feel bad that you stopped talking to that person !
    'I didn’t talk to him ever after and that is not needed also because…'
    Bad gesture from your side I guess.

    Life is too short to be wasted on insensitive people..

    Anyways, nicely written :)

    ReplyDelete